[Asterisk-biz] Need some advice..

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Nov 19 20:52:54 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 19:13 -0800, snacktime wrote:
> If we can't do this then we will probably just have a password
> protected voice menu they can call into via an 800 number.  That has
> some advantages anyways, but I personally think it would look a lot
> better if their voip phone acted like it was a local extension to our
> own asterisk server.
>
> Any thoughts on how we might accomplish this?  The simpler the better.

You could have everyone register with your asterisk box, then directly
connect the media streams (reinvite=yes or notransfer=no sip or iax
respectively) to the actual ITSP.  That saves you the bandwidth, reduces
customer latency (usually), and overall gives you what you want.

If asterisk is the endpoint of the call (ie they are accessing a menu
local to your system) then the media stream obviously would terminate
with your box and not be redirected.

If howevr they call the PSTN it would go direct where it has to go, your
partner ITSP.  To reduce your costs you can hook into a dundi cloud
and/or try enum.org to directly terminate voip->voip where possible.

Does this setup do exactly what you want it to do?  Or did I miss
anything?

CAUTION: if you connect the two end points directly there is *no*
guarantee that you will have proper CDR records.  You may but there is
no guarantee.  This is because once you are out of the loop things can
happen that prevent any 'end of call' messages from ever being sent to
your asterisk box.  To that end you may want to partner with a provider
that will provide you with their CDR records for your calls and insert
that into your database locally (either by a deadAGI callback to your
box to report on that call specifically or better by fetching the CDR
data at periodic intervals).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378