[Asterisk-biz] Tomtelecom

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Nov 19 18:09:02 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 18:00 -0700, Darren Wiebe wrote:
> Ouch!  Thanks for the straightforward answer.  Maybe someday I won't be
> so stupid anymore.  It sure sounded good and the testing was lovely.....

I am always wary of providers that want a large upfront prepayment or a
'life time subscription'.  They cant sustain, yeah its great as long as
they are growing and adding more customers, but at some point the bubble
will burst on the subscription ones.  As for the ones that want large
upfront prepayments and offer a better than normal plan for fronting
that much money that suggests to me that they are strapped for cash and
need the money to stay in business, which sends up red flags in my mind.

They may not all be that way, however I see that as a major warning
sign.

As for what you can try to do to get your money back, if the provider is
unable to provide the service for which you contracted, and you paid by
credit card (or debit card in most instances), and you are within your
window of dispute (normally 60 days but may vary) you can attempt to
initiate a chargeback.  Basically you call your bank, explain that you
didnt get what you paid for, and try to get your money back.

That has worked when one company filed bankrupcy recently and people
that had prepaid balances were able to get their money back.

If the company is no longer there, they may not even be prepared to
dispute the chargeback which means by default you get it, however there
are some circumstances where this wont be the case.  Its worth a try :)

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378