[Asterisk-biz] Who uses only VOIP for their business?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Nov 17 06:07:00 MST 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 19:58, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Yes, let asterisk deal with the flakiness of the VOIP providers.  Though
> how do you deal with this for incoming calls?  Have the incoming numbers
> forward to another number on another provider if they don't go through?
> Anyone have any details on a setup like this?

There is no real good way to have failover on your incoming lines.  The best
I've been able to come up with is to use a DID provider which will allow a
failure to dial another number, and have that number a DID for a different
provider.  It's still not perfect, as I am almost positive that most failures
of origination occur on the VOIP end (getting the call to you), not the TDM
end (getting the call to the provider).

That's primarily why we use a PRI ourselves, but I have been experimenting
with it.

-A.