[Asterisk-biz] looking for Asterisk Hotel Solution

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Mon Nov 14 09:35:22 MST 2005

Tim Booth wrote:
> Does anyone know of a commercial Asterisk solution for the hospitality
> market? We have a client with 3 hotels that all have about 80 single
> line phones and 20 admin phones per hotel. Any references would be
> appreciated. I have been hearing about a 24 channel? Digium card for
> analog phones. Does anyone know if this card can light a message waiting
> LED on a single line phone?

The problem is with the interface to the hotel's Property Management
System.  Asterisk must be
able to deliver CDR records to the PMS system in real time.  The PMS
must be able to
restrict 9+ dialing when a guest checks out and restore 9+ calling when
a guest checks in.
Some hotels limit 9+ dialing for guests that have prepaid, teens, etc.

Also, there are certain extension numbers that staff uses.  A maid will,
for example, key
a number to indicate a room is ready for sale.  The maid's supervisor
will key another
number to indicate the room has passed/not passed inspection.  Data
collection from Asterisk
IVR is easy, but getting the information to the PMS is another matter.

Then there is the matter of the telephone set.  The TDM24xx card is a
nice alternative, but can
four be put in one * box?  When the TDM24xx pricing becomes available
we'll have to do a cost
comparison between the TDM cards, channel banks/T1 cards, and
inexpensive SIP phones.  Cat3 vs.
Cat5 wiring, etc.

Tim, do these hotels have an existing telephone system?  Can you
determine which PMS is being
used and if the interface specification is published?

--
Michael Welter
Telecom Matters Corp.