[Asterisk-biz] RFQ: USA IAX Services, focused on support

Jon Carnes jonc at ftnc.net
Tue Nov 8 05:56:05 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 06:07, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Matt Riddell wrote:
>
> > Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> > > While in general, I am not a fan of the hosted PBX model, if you are going
> > > to do it, make sure you do it using a VoPN model.
> >
> > Not to nitpick but...
> >
> > Depends...if you colo with the last mile provider, you can kinda turn VoPI
> > into VoPN in some circumstances.
>
> Unless you are a CLEC, you are not going to get into a Central office to
> gain access to the last mile facilities. Yes, you could Co-Lo all of your
> equipment at a CLEC, but that would not be Voice over the Public Internet.
> it would still be over a Private Network between your servers and the End
> User.
>
> Try building that infrastructure in 50 states.

Fortunately we are a CLEC...

We run direct T1s to our gateways and put the gateways into local ISP's.
This gives us direct access to the users of that ISP. The caveat is that
the local ISP has to give some QoS or guaranteed bandwidth at the local
distribution router level. This is generally available for "business"
connections.

For larger clients we simply run a direct T1 to the client... and become
the ISP as well as the Virtual PBX vendor.

The growth is not as rapid as the VoPN model, but it is very steady and
our customer satisfaction is through the roof.

Jon Carnes
CTO FeatureTel