[Asterisk-biz] some things that really suck in customer support

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sun Nov 6 18:07:52 MST 2005

Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Consider the first point in my original post:
>>
>> "1) No trouble ticket system. I can install linux on an old machine
>> and have a good open source package like request tracker running in a
>> few hours. Is there some reason you can't do that? "
>>
>> The non-idiot customer will use such a system because he knows it
>> usually works better than playing telephone tag. That is constructive
>> criticism.
>

> Who says a trouble ticketing system has to be an external, customer
> facing solution?

It doesn't if all emails from customers are read and acknowledged. A
good ticket system usually sends an acknowledgement email to the
customer right away. It doesn't guarantee a response time but it is
somewhat reassuring.

There are some very bad ticket systems. I have seen one that first
emails me some knowledge base answers that are totally unrelated to my
request and then I have to go back into the system and indicate that my
problem is still unsolved. But I have seen many email-based support
centers do more or less the same thing. I also have seen some IVR
systems that do the same thing. There is smoke coming from the
capacitors amd the chipset cooler has failed on my motherboard but I
have to listen to "solutions to common problems" for 5 minutes before my
call can be moved to the tech support queue. Brilliant!