[Asterisk-biz] Re: Best stable asterisk release for SOHO for 35 users

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 1 20:02:37 MST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:

> > Now.. would you like to argue the fact that more packages == more
> > security
> > holes? Think of it this way: PBXware and Astlinux can coexist in
> > about 45
> > megabytes of storage, running out of a Compact Flash and can be
> > loaded in
> > less than 5 minutes by just about anyone. It is a purpose designed
> > system
> > that is intentionally tight on footprint but doesn't sacrafice
> > features.
> > It's rock solid, well tested and you get support from commercial
> > entities.
>
> Yup, and it requires that you are, or someone you hire is, an
> Asterisk stud. It's a kick-ass solution, but it isn't necessarily
> right for everyone.

Please explain to me how the deployments of Astliunx that I have in the
field, which run w/out problems for months at a time, requires that
company to hire an "Asterisk Stud"? To date, none of those companies have
hired anyone, and in fact have profusely thanked us because the Asterisk
At Home implementations that we replaced w/ AstLinux don't have all the
"distractions" and "uncertainty" of the past. Their staff have been able
to use the phones AS PHONES and not worry about how they work. They just
WORK!

> > Look.. I'm all in support of what the Asterisk At Home project is
> > doing,
> > and I encourage it. I just have a problem with people reccomending
> > it to
> > commercial users. Asterisk At Home is not something that I would even
> > dream of deploying in a commercial environment (yet.. that may
> > change as
> > it matures). Just because you CAN do something it doesn't make it the
> > right decision.
>
> With encouragement like this, who needs detractors? ;-)
>
> Seriously, it sounds like AstLinux, etc works really well for you and
> is a perfect solution for your needs. However, keep in mind that
> everyone else's needs aren't the same as yours. AMP/A at H are far from
> perfect, but they work very, very well and they meet the needs of
> many small businesses.

So be it.

                             KP-216-121-ST