[Asterisk-biz] Re: Best stable asterisk release for SOHO for 35 users

Paul paul at siliconvp.com
Tue Nov 1 13:40:14 MST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Greg Boehnlein wrote,

>There are two things that I cannot find a way to customize via the
>xxxx_custom.conf files:

>1.  Inbound routing based on analog trunk:  If I want to route calls coming
>in on zap/1 differently than zap/2 I have to modify extensions.conf
>directly (fake AMP out into thinking DID is available).

>2.  Override extensions dial plan:  If I want to change the behavior of
>calls to an extension, I have to edit extensions.conf (or
>extensions_additional.conf) directly.  Because asterisk sorts extensions in
>a context *before* it sorts included contexts, overrides in
>extensions_custom.conf have no affect.

Greg,
Both of your points cause a learning curve but both are customizable.  First
to use inbound routing in amp with any zap channel regardless of type, (chan
bank, xp100 card) all you need do is define the zap channel individually
with a separate context.

IE: zapata.conf
group=1
context=custom-6438
channel=>25 ; chan bank private
context=custom-4177
channel=>26 ; chan bank fax
context=custom-6100
channel=>27-36 ; chan bank main

extensions_custom.conf
[custom-6438]
exten=>s,1,Goto(from-pstn,6438,1)

[custom-4177]
exten=>s,1,Goto(from-pstn,4177,1)

And of course define the DID route in AMP.

Now for number 2......
There is no need to override at all.  You can easily create custom contexts
that have nothing to do with amp and co-reside.  You can use the macros
created by amp or your own.  So I fail to see any validity in point 2.
Especially since you have your own code from years of use - AMP would just
make a good addition.

Now look at it from another side.  New users.  When did you ever see the
wealth of new users, new pushes and new ideas flowing into Asterisk?

Yes, it is a burden on the wiki's --- but less people fail to get their
first system up with A at H which breeds new life into the entire system. It
really can be used in a business environment.  What stops it???

Please enlighten me where the combination of Cent OS 3.5, AMP, FOP,
Asterisk, Sugar and all required modules to have a full system working, slow
down Asterisk or cause a failure in a business environment.

The only problem is the new beta.  They based their new 2.0 beta on Cent 4
and too many changes / upgrades were introduced at once (mysql, phpmyadmin)
as we all have done in the past.

Regards,
Paul Norris