[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon May 23 17:18:17 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

>I know a lot of people have bashed requirements and specifications
>documents, seeing them as just junk that slows you down. Yes, it takes time.
>But without it, no one is quite sure what they're building. If you're
>writing a 3 hour hack job, that's one thing. But anything more involved than
>a day, and there has just GOT to be a clearcut expectation. Sometimes
>clients don't want to pay for intangibles like a project manager.

There are a lot of people trying to get into high-tech business who
don't understand the difference between a sales proposal and a first
draft of the project roadmap and budget. Some of them post on these
lists seeking a consultant. They have no clear requirements and
specifications but they want an estimate. So I tell them something like
5 to 10 hours is needed just to study it and get that first draft. They
object because thye don't understand that 5 to 10 hours might tell them
whether the project is in the $10k, $100k, $1m class. I recently made a
decision that I am no longer going to work for people who refuse to do
anything the right way. No docs, no backup, no security policies, etc.
makes me look almost as bad as the bozos I am working for. If you work
for people like that, you are working for losers. It's always harder to
get paid by losers.