[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

NVC List Manager lists at netwvcom.com
Sun May 22 08:50:12 MST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 10:43, Paul wrote:

> Steve, there are people out there without money who file unfounded
> lawsuits. Even if you represent yourself and get it dismissed, it is a
> drain on your time and thus your income. If Alan chooses to name him
> publicly, I do hope that he has made some collection efforts. I try to
> use email for collections first. If I can get an email response, it
> often clearly indicates that the work is acceptable and the debt is
> valid. In any case you have to make a reasonable effort to collect a
> debt before calling somebody a deadbeat.

Oh absolutely. We are operating on the assumption of Alan's picture. Judging
only by how he communicated. Which to me shows clear _indications_ of him
presenting a valid picture.

Not that _I_ would hesitate presenting _evidence_ in public should I feel no
other recourse. It's one thing to say "So and so is a bloody criminal", and
quite the other to say "I have unpaid invoices dating over 120 days which
have not been paid by so and so".

As long as what you have is factual, you are not in a slanderous position. It
will also cost the non paying party more to do a lawsuit than just paying
what he will need to pay after court too.

I hear what you say, but I will NOT be taken for a ride regardless of threats
to go to court. Doing that is just setting yourself up for being a victim.
Running and hiding as soon as someone says lawsuit.

It's one thing to be smart about picking your battles, another to let people
take undue advantage of you. Now if you have access to a lawyer, and have a
clear understanding of the law, the better off you are.

--

NVC List Manager
(For external lists)