[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

Robert Wolpov rob at junctionnetworks.com
Sun May 22 06:15:20 MST 2005

As a former PriceWaterhouseCoopers management consultant, I learned never to
do consulting work without a complete understanding of the payment terms
between you and the client.

I think it is ok if you inform the board of the client so anyone proposing
on work for this client can be informed of what may occur.  However, I will
say that it sounds like you had nothing in writing requiring the client pay
to you and you informed him after the fact that he needed to pay.
Therefore, if you are informing the board of the name of the client, I would
make the situation clear.  Was there a formal obligation that the client did
not meet?  If not, it is hard to say the client was anything more than
difficult to do business with.

Unfortunately (for hourly based consultants) 9 out of 10 clients will ask
for more than they want to pay!  This is why you need formal payment terms
before the work is done!

Good luck.