[Asterisk-biz] IP to Location for 911 Support

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Sat May 21 16:08:26 MST 2005

>> As I'm sure you know, IPs are not physical and thus aren't
>> restricted to a
>> geographical region. An IP-to-country lookup can work many times,
>> but not in
>> a critical system like this.
>>

>Agreed.   I will say the MaxMind GeoIP system works wonderfully,
>though.   I embedded it into the SMTP server I wrote for work (in
>C)... it looks up the country of the sending IP and adds a header.
>The mail system processes millions of messages per hour and we
>haven't had a single hiccup.
>
>-Steve

What do you mean by hiccup? You've validated millions of emails to ensure
the country was the correct one? My main point was that while doing the
lookup might be fine for web stats or similar, it most definitely is not
100% accurate. Thus, if he is going to disable 911 because the IP-lookup
says something other than USA or Canada, he should know it's a disaster
waiting to happen.

-Michael