[Asterisk-biz] The FCC VoIP 911 oreder is official.

Mojo Jojo mylist at lightwavetech.com
Fri May 20 22:48:42 MST 2005

Much of what is going on with 911 is due to the politicians saying that
people are falsely led to believe that they will have 911 service and then
don't have it when they need it in an emergency.

So basically they are saying that there is a false sense of security right?

So then, what exactly do they think they are creating when they pass a law
that makes people believe that in 120 days they will have 911 service on
their VOIP phones?

Aren't they just making this false sense of security worse? I mean how the
hell is passing a law going to insure that my internet connection is up when
I need to make that all important call?

Who gets sued or fined when the DSL connection is down and the call won't go
through? Is it the ISP? Maybe it's the Electric company who allowed the
power to go out in a storm which make my DSL modem stop working?

Maybe it's my ISP's upstream bandwidth provider who had a router problem
right when I needed to make that call?

I truly wonder how it is that the FCC will make sure that all of these
endless links in the chain which make VOIP work will be up when that all
important emergency call needs to be made.

VOIP is not the same as the PSTN and never will be! It's not as reliable and
shouldn't be relied upon for 911!

Making the public falsely believe that they SHOULD be able to rely on VOIP
for 911 calls is the real problem.

SO, I think it's the FCC putting the public at risk by creating an even
greater false sense of security, the same thing Vonage is being sued for!

Private Label Wholesale Internet Access!
http://www.YourOwnISP.com