[Asterisk-biz] IP to Location for 911 Support

Ben Price ben.price at golden.net
Thu May 19 18:48:11 MST 2005

Here is my situation:

I have a 911 provider that will provide me with basic 911 service for
all of North America (Note: I am a Canadian provider and am not required
(yet) to provide e911).

Here is what I need:

I need a way to determine based on the IP connecting to my asterisk
server for a clients account # if they are in North America or not.  I
will give an example below.  This will determine what to do when 911 is
dialed.

Example:

Caller 1:  Dials 911 while in Canada - IP is checked if in North America
(True) - call gets routed to my 911 call centre.

Caller 2:  Dials 911 from China (or anywhere outside of North America) -
IP is checked if in North America (False) - a wav file is played
directing the caller to find the nearest available land line, etc.

Does anyone know a way to add this to my dial plan?

Thanks,
Ben Price

FWD: 641915