[Asterisk-biz] The FCC VoIP 911 oreder is official.

William Waites ww at groovy.net
Thu May 19 12:20:13 MST 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:28:39PM -0400, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> I believe this to be wording came from the Pulver ruling.   An
> Interconnected VoIP Provider, in my minds means a provider that
> has/provides connectivity to the PSTN.

Great can of worms that is.

I think that this will significantly raise the bar. If E911
databases become updateable through some mechanism over the
Internet in order to provide location information, I can see
the tendency to severely restrict access to this so as to
try to keep the data resonably accurate. But even that isn't
easy.

Imagine. Someone signs up with ${provider}. Through some web
interface they say that their location is 1600 Pennsylvania
Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500. Then they call 911.

etc. etc...

--
William Waites, Consulting Technologist
Consultants Ars Informatica S.A.R.F.