[Asterisk-biz] The FCC VoIP 911 oreder is official.

Chris Ochs voip at paymentonline.com
Thu May 19 10:15:33 MST 2005

> The FCC VoIP 911 oreder is official. Check out the press release at
> http://www.fcc.gov/.

This seems entirely reasonable.  I think the FCC took the middle ground and
did this correctly given all the choices.   Even in the short time span of
120 days I suspect there will be quite a few E911 solutions for voip
providers.  I would be extremely surprised if the main carriers don't just
bundle it as a value added service.

Plus, the ruling also looks like it leaves some loopholes for certain types
of wholesale voip providers, or providers that cater to businesses who run
call centers or pbx systems.  Undoubtedly the FCC will have to clarify and
expound on the ruling in the future as some companies push the envelope of
what was intended.

Chris