[Asterisk-biz] 911 update

Jason P. Talley jason at nuvio.com
Fri May 13 07:52:48 MST 2005

All:

The FCC went "sunshine" yesterday regarding its May 19th meeting which
includes 911.  Thought I would give you a quick update of the draft
language and where things stand right now.  It is not good.

It appears that the FCC is going to require "interconnected" VoIP
providers to deliver an emergency call to the proper PSAP with ALI
information (and update the databases).  This includes all PSAPs and
means connections through ILECs and RLECS.  Just using the RBOCs alone
will not even come close to satisfying the standard.  This is much more
stringent than even the cellular industry has to adhere to.  Before
someone on this list goes off and says that this is ok, realize that
this means interconnecting to more than 6600+ PSAPs, devising Psuedo ANI
type technology, updating databases, etc.  This is no small task.  And
here is the real kicker, the FCC is currently discussing an
implementation date of 120 days.  I am sure that some waivers will be
possible, but obtaining a waiver is not an easy or trivial task.  We
have no rights to interconnect with any of these services, and in some
cases, especially RLECs, there is no legal requirement that they open
the network up even if we were certificated in the state.  Also, the FCC
appears to specifically preserve our liability for lawsuits.  This is
contrary to every other telecom provider who may be subject to state
protections (remember we are interstate now with none of those
benefits).

Just in case you are wondering who will be affected, consider this.  The
FCC is stating that if you touch the PSTN in any way you will be
required to comply.  This may well affect people like Skype (with Skype
out), FWD, and most of you on this list.  The FCC does not seem to care
if you are using ATAs, IP phones, or softphones.  The fact that you may
have to boot a computer to use the service seems to be unimportant.

This is bad stuff for the industry.  I am hopeful that during the next
week as staff meets to work on this a more moderate rule will be
adopted, especially as it relates to implementation time frame.  This is
not a question of if anymore, just a question of when.  Public safety is
important and should be a core component of any offering, but reality
needs to be addressed as well.

-jason

Jason P. Talley

Chief Executive Officer