[Asterisk-biz] Criminal Liability (I know there are attorneys on this list)

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Fri May 13 05:44:47 MST 2005

Greg Broiles wrote:
> On 5/12/05, Michael Welter <mike at introspect.com> wrote:
>
>>First:  I am not casting dispersions upon anyone on this list.  However,
>>I have a what-if question based on queries I have received off-list
>>during the past month:
>

> Are you looking for free legal service, or is this an RFP?
>
> The "I was thinking about making some money by working in the child
> sex industry" angle doesn't exactly set you up as an especially

I never, ever considered doing anything in the sex industry.  I had a
couple of calls from a guy who wouldn't give specific answers to my
questions.  He spoke of "his girls" at a call center in the Philippines.
  It was later that I realized he _could_ be running a phone sex
operation and that his "girls" _might_ be under age.

Which is why I posted this question to the list:  To avoid criminal
liability, must we determine if each and every customer is legit?  For
example, if some someone opens an account at the web page, must we then
investigate him and determine that he's not using the service for
criminal activities (such as book making)?