[Asterisk-biz] 911 Thread

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sat May 7 20:54:34 MST 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Mojo Jojo wrote:

> And let's not forget how serious this is for most of the mom and pop
> VOIP shops in existence today... They will be gone a few months after
> this law goes into effect!
>
> I can't believe folks on this list and others aren't making MUCH more
> noise..
>
> How can the FCC and politicians just jump up and put so many small
> businesses that are the very reasons VOIP is where it is today out of
> business?
Frankly, with the way half the people on asterisk-biz behave, them raising
noise is like children in the playground whining so daddy will let them
keep their toys.

Grow up. FCC isn't about to mandate *every carrier* provide e911 - as it
isn't even clear they can regulate them. I fully expect FCC will be
reasonable - if you market things as a landline replacement, you must
provide e911. If you are like skype, I'm sure the FCC will realize that
you aren't to be regulated.

Stop thinking of government as your enemy. While I'm just as cynical as
next guy, FCC isn't full of idiots. They may be thinking of their next job
as directors of government affairs at ILECs, but they won't harm you just
because. Small guys aren't on the FCC radar - big carriers like Vonage or
CallVantage who *can* and *should* offer e911 as they market things as a
landline replacement are on their radar. And, in my opinion, FCC is right
about them.

-alex