[Asterisk-biz] 911 Thread

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sat May 7 15:56:05 MST 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Paul wrote:

> But it really is persecution of the providers and the consumers. Suppose
> that the consumer only wants and needs a $5.95/month BV BYOD-lite
> account for his wisip phone. Maybe he is semi-transient in nature.
> Doesn't he have a right to waive e911? Suppose he spends workday nights
> in NYC but spends all other nights out of town. And what about my
> daughter who has been in the US Army 4.5 years with 6 months in Kuwait
> and a year in Iraq, not to mention the different US bases she has served
> at? She has a notebook PC and even in Baghdad they had some internet
> cafe types of broadband access. If we don't fight the FCC on this, they
> will make it too expensive for people like her to take advantage of
> voip.
You don't understand how it works. You don't fight the FCC. You educate
them on all the possibilities they didn't think of. I agree, customers
should probably have an option to explicitly waive their e911, but this
has to be very prominent in marketing.

Providers who offer the waiver option cannot market their services as
primary line replacement.

-alex