[Asterisk-biz] credit card payment

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Wed Mar 30 11:30:43 MST 2005

> I planned to use www.2checkout.com 5.5%+$0.45 per
> transaction. I worked my financial model around those
> figures. I planned to switch to www.charge.com once revenues
> picked up (2.36%+$0.25 per transaction
> +$39.95 per month).
>
> Are there better places that I should check out? Is using
> 2checkout.com initially, a good idea. I know very little
> about credit cards.

Herman,

Do your homework re. 2CheckOut. Our experience with them, albeit
limited, has been positive, but there are lots of horror stories about
them and their customer (dis)service.

You should explore PayPal. Their merchant offerings are much better than
even 12 months ago. For example, they no longer require credit card
users (your customers) to register and set up a PayPal account. Other
improvements have been made to their API that have eliminated most of
the annoying issues that many on-line merchants have had with PayPal.

Their discount rate is 2.9% or lower (depends on volume) plus a flat
transaction fee...
(lifted from their website...)
"Flat fee will be charged as follows:
0.30 USD for payments in U.S. Dollars,
$0.55 CAD for Canadian Dollar,
€0.35 EUR for Euro,
£0.20 GBP for Pound Sterling,
$0.40 AUD for Australian Dollar,
¥40 JPY for Yen."

That's a big bite, but not much more than many traditional merchant
services. Indeed, once your volume reaches certain levels, you may find
that they're actually LESS expensive than those processors that won't
bend on rates for "non-swiped" transactions.