[Asterisk-biz] New IAX2 Phones in the Market

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Mon Mar 28 18:02:04 MST 2005

>Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
>> However, the PA168 only supports a single voice channel. So, if it's a
>> multi-channel PA168-based device, it probably just has a few PA168 chips
>in
>> a single box.
>>
>> -Michael
>
>And they probably can't do trunking, let alone across each other...

Exactly. Trunking one line doesn't make sense, and since that's all each
chip can do... I suppose an innovative hardware designer could group the
chips and add a small consolidation system and add trunking there.

Then again, the stock 1.42 firmware doesn't even support POKE/PONG, so I
highly doubt more advanced features are implemented. But Woody (from
Centrality, the people who make the actual chip) is very responsive and
they've made a lot of progress over the last few versions.

The IAX2 firmware source is readily available for these phones, and some
individuals have implemented very advanced IAX2 firmwares (albeit by
sacrificing some codec support). If you make some changes and submit them to
Centrality, there's a chance they can get into the main firmware sometime.

-Michael