[Asterisk-biz] New IAX2 Phones in the Market

Herman Webley herman.webley at blitzllc.com
Mon Mar 28 14:45:01 MST 2005

Kristian,

The ATA-100 seems to be a 4 port device. In the case of all 4 channels
being utilized, with the ever popular G.729 codec for example:
	without IAX2 trunking: approx 120.0kb/s in each direction
	with IAX2 trunking   : approx  58.7kb/s in each direction

That is less than half of the bandwidth utilization. Percentage savings
will be even greater for the lower bandwidth codecs like iLBC and LPC.
You could even do multiple calls over a _good_ dial up connection!

There will also be savings (though less) when only 2 calls are
concurrent, and when higher bandwidth codecs are used. However only when
there is only one call will there not be bandwitdh savings (bandwidth
utilization will actually be a little higher due to larger IAX2
overhead, but that is very small)

PS There is a small error on
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-editpage.php?page=Asterisk+bandwidth+iax2
as it concerns iLBC trunking, I am correcting that now.