[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX

Zoa zoachien at securax.org
Mon Mar 28 00:41:56 MST 2005

Did you ever try to build a network on telephone cables ?

I did a while ago to avoid having to break open the walls, but i cannot
synch at 100mbit on that cable.
Its true that it doesnt use all 8 cables, but you might want some cables
twisted around the others in a special way to avoid interference.

You might be able to do it, for small distances.

About the testing, iirc, SIPP can only send audio in some kind of echo
mode and if you want to simulate simultaneous calls you will need to do
SIPP to asterisk to SIPP, which would mean no audio.

In what i find on :

http://von05news.pulver.com/archives/2005/03/von_internet_te.html

I have some remarks:
- i don't know if a dual pIV exists, i've never seen one.
- Signate can only do 333 simultaneous sip channels on a dual xeon?, i
can do the same thing on an embedded 800mhz slow as hell via chipset.

The explication that SGI has superiour I/O bandwidth doesn't seem to be
applicable, as you will not have a I/O bottleneck on the dual xeon? at
333 channels.(ser with rttproxy can handle 2000 simultaneous RTP calls
on the same server configuration.)

We never tested a dual xeon to the max, as we had not enough servers to
accept traffic on, in the meantime we do (
http://www.astertest.com/downloads/scx-testlab.jpg ), maybe i should
give it another try.

No doubt the SGI is nice hardware and its probably faster and has more
io bandwidth than a dual xeon, but the difference should not be that big.
In any case, in my opinion the current asterisk is not designed to
handle 5000 calls on 1 machine. The channel walks would kill it, in case
of network connections it would have thousands of retransmissions
starting at the same time, blowing up other conversations.

Have a look at SER or at a cisco proxy, use that to load balance your
asterisk machines. it scales as long as you have money to buy more
machines :p

Zoa.

Btw, could someone buy me a cool SGI machine for my testlab ? :))