[Asterisk-biz] asterisk with combined T1?

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Sun Mar 27 11:06:53 MST 2005

Greg Palmer wrote:
> Anyone have experience using a T1 with 12 channels voice and 12 channels
> data on a 100?
100?  Do you mean a 100Mbps LAN?

> any problems?
> any benefits?
> any experience?
>
> goal...
> VoIP offload to local...
> Local calls to prepaid LD (out VoIP)
>
> Any help appreciated....
>
> Greg

I have an integrated T-1 from Eschelon at a customer site.  I was
prepared to plug it into the T100P card and do the HDLC thing, but
Eschelon insisted on installing a Vina Integrator box that splits the
voice and data.  The system has been up for two years without a problem.

I know other vendors (like CBeyond) do a bandwidth sharing thing, where
all available T-1 channels are dedicated to data.  When a voice call
arrives, 64Kbps is borrowed from the data stream for the duration of the
voice call. I think it's Cisco equipment but not sure...

Mike