[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sun Mar 27 08:53:10 MST 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 18:42, Michael Welter wrote:
> I'm staring at an RFP--this company wants to replace a 2000 position PBX

> The big unknown is wiring.  I'm going to assume the worst, that the
> existing LAN is overloaded.  I would a) have to make LAN wiring out of
> existing Cat3 wiring, or b) install a new voice-only LAN.
>
> Does anyone know how to qualify existing Cat3 wiring for use as a LAN?

This seems like a really bad idea. Why lock down into a not only old and
outdated technology, but for 2000 users?!!

You want to keep the network operating efficiently. Modern switches does a lot
better job than yesterdays technology. If you have 250 people on the phone at
the same time, and you are using g.729, you have used 10Mb right there. Never
mind any other protocol.

For 2000 users you cannot think like that. It should be done right or not at
all.

On top of it VoIP is not yet proven to work well under hacking conditions. We
know SIP is not very safe in that regard. IAX2 is better but it's still very
new. So the safe thing to do is to keep them seperate.

It's safer to build a dedicated LAN between the PBX and a server as that
connection can be really tightend down.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin