[Asterisk-biz] lowest voip service with IAX2 termination

James Taylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Sat Mar 26 12:37:30 MST 2005

Good question.

If you look at it in the "old" PSTN world, an 800 call looks like this:

Calling_Party->LEC_1->IXC->LEC_2->Called_Party

Each of the three carriers in the middle will be compensated for carrying
their portion of the call.

LEC_1 charges the Calling_Party for basic telephone service $30/month.
LEC_1 charges the IXC for interconnection and switching
LEC_2 charges the IXC for delivering the call to the Called_Party
IXC charges the Called_Party for the call.

Just substitute your VOIP provider in as many places as you like.
They'll carry the call and charge you for that part of the call.

You can eliminate LEC_2 by subscribing to "dedicated" long distance with
an IXC.
This is typically where you have a T1 directly to your LD carrier.

As we all know, some of this gets "b l u r e d" with VOIP.