[Asterisk-biz] Question about phone charges in UK ?

Rob Pickering rob at rpanetwork.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 04:53:48 MST 2005

Craig,

Your analysis is exactly correct. The way that the 0845 and 0870
ranges are described and charged for is an anachronism. The tie
between charges for these numbers and what subscribers actually pay
for local/national calls was broken ages ago. The fact that they are
still allowed to be marketed as "local rate" etc is a regulatory
scandal. Many consumers are now wise to this and there is an
increasing amount of backlash.

Geographic calls within the UK are basically 1-2p/minute with most
carriers, many have free geographic calls (either off-peak only or
on/off-peak) bundled in monthly line rental.

By contrast "local rate" 0845 numbers are up to 4p/min because of the
kick-back that has to be paid to the terminating provider, and 0870
"national rate" are up to 8p. For the same reason they are also
almost always excluded from "free calls" type packages.

Avoid.

--
    Rob Pickering, http://www.ipcortex.co.uk/