[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Mar 24 16:53:19 MST 2005

>Does anyone know how to qualify existing Cat3 wiring for use as a LAN?

If it's "real" cat3 and not some crap left over from the 70's that they used
to run their serial port terminals or rotary phones on, you can do 10mbit
/sec on it no problem. Just replace the wall jacks and punch down the other
side to a cat5 patch panel. You should have no problems running a 10 mbit
voice only LAN. Talk to some cabling guys about it, I know some guys that do
it all the time. Hell, I've done it in a pinch. Just make sure the cable
strand gage is 22, solid core, copper. Twisted helps.

good luck