[Asterisk-biz] international voip rate question

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:08:59 MST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:05 -0500, VOIP Consultant
<c.savinovich at itntelecom.com> wrote:

>  I wondered about that for a long time, until a realized they lie.  Have
> you ever used those calling cards?.  They use a pletora of tricks, that
> range from minutes that are not 60 seconds to connection charges, to daily
> "non-use" charges, and on, and on...  One thing is for sure: they are likely
> to be getting similar rates as you do.

I was actually taking the extra charges on calling cards into account.
 The cheapest I have seen is published at $.025 per minute but adds up
to about $.04 per minute after the additional charges.  Plus a 10
minute minimum I believe.  Being my wife is from Russia I have used
quite a few different calling cards and dialaround plans over the last
few years.

>From what I've heard, calling card companies buy a lot of lower
priority call time that has a lower priority at the switch than
regular calls.  Well at least that made sense to me because I found
calling cards were very often lower quality and I got a lot more
dropped connections and busy signals from the provider (not the local
telco) than dialaround or calling direct.  If there is any truth to
that theory I really don't know.

Chris