[Asterisk-biz] Opportunities for good billing solutions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Mar 10 11:33:05 MST 2005

snacktime wrote:

> 1. credit card/ach processing engine
> 2. recurring billing engine
> 3. administrative interface for customer management/reporting
> 4. customer interface for viewing bills,cancelling services, etc..
> 5. interfaces to * to collect whatever data is needed for all of the above

6. Taxation
7. Municipality determination and reporting
8. Reciprocal Compensation
9. Support for resellers

This is a _huge_ job; I welcome the effort, but after just spending a
day at VON looking at the existing (non-open-source) solutions, I don't
think an open source team will have a product that an actual business
could use for quite some time...

Also keep in mind that a product like this nearly demands being built on
top of an existing web-style framework (Zope/Plone, Horde, etc),
otherwise the team will have to build all that stuff from scratch, and
the end user will have limited customization ability.