[Asterisk-biz] Legal Requirement for Digital PBX

VoIP-PBX henry.coleman at voip-pbx.ca
Thu Jun 23 12:36:42 MST 2005

Andrew M Stemen wrote:

>... how does putting a UPS on a PBX indicate that you must "run power to
>every PC and every desk phone in the whole building"?
>
>At my last office, we had our entire network infrastructure (servers,
>switches, etc.) on redundant UPSes, and there was a generator that would
>kick on if the power would fail as well, so we were well covered. That
>said, we didn't have UPSes anywhere except for our networking closets.
>The only things related to the PBX that we had connected to UPS was the
>server, and the switches... of course, we had switches that inserted
>power over ethernet, so we didn't have to worry about powering phones
>locally, they got their power from the 'network'.
>
>This was a government organization, and a public facility, so we
>couldn't really do any less.
>
>Andrew M Stemen
>lists at andrewmstemen.com
>http://www.andrewmstemen.com
>

>Dean Collins wrote:
>

>>You're kidding right? How often does the power go down at your office?
>>When it happens here we go home/out to lunch/break out the cards.
>>
>>The servers are backed up for automated shutdown etc but I'm not going
>>to run power to every pc and every desk phone in the whole building for
>>the 15-30 mins a year.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Dean

It just makes good sense to put a single line jack at the reception desk
and keep a small analog phone in the draw. When the power goes out
someone can just plug in the phone and make calls. Simple,safe and
inexpensive. As for the networks, you only have to keep the servers up
and running
statistically, 80% of power-outs in the US and Canada are less than 20
minutes so just count up the number of watts for each server and do the
maths. You should be able make arrangements to shut down servers within
20 minutes for any long term power-outs.
Hope this helps ...
Henry