[Asterisk-biz] VoIP Future and Asterisk -- For Teliax, LiveVOIP, NuFone, VoipJet, BroadVoice and all other IXPs

Gen Kanai gkanai at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 01:42:33 MST 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Jeff Heath wrote:

> Seems to me that the companies that are really going to win are the
> ones
> that control the high speed access to the customer.  But maybe
> there is
> something I'm missing.  What is Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo's
> motivation for entering the VoIP market?

I think it is clear that both yahoo! and google are interested in
keeping their customers on their own sites for advertising and other
revenue reasons (auction transactions, ecommerce, etc.)

If an inexpensive VoIP service tied into their existing platform of
instant messengers, social network services (yahoo! 360, Orkut, etc.)
means more page views and click-throughs for their advertising, or if
it means a more seamless experience for the user (i.e. Yahoo! BB in
Japan offering xDSL and VoIP in the same hardware, all for about $30/
mo.) then I think it is a matter of time.  When, not if.

Gen

http://kanai.net/weblog