[Asterisk-biz] CC Fraud

Kenneth Shaw ken at expitrans.com
Mon Jun 20 10:54:00 MST 2005

Including 8 digits of a 16 digit number and an MD5 hash isn't secure to
begin with. This makes no sense at all. We provide merchant accounts,
processing gateways, etc. at ExpiTrans. Your processing gateway already
has white and black lists of credit cards. You're talking about
reinventing the wheel.

There is only one way to get around this right now, and that is to use
Visa's 3d Secure, which requires the user to basically log into a Visa
authorized site, and provide more information. MasterCard has something
called SecuriCode (I think?) which is supposed to be deployed later this
year around the globe, and is basically the same thing.

Look, the "Card Verification Codes" (CVC/CVV/CVV2) don't do jack. It was
a BS marketing ploy by MasterCard in the mid 90s to create an illusion
of security. All it does is extend the card number by 3 or 4 random
digits. The solution to this isn't an account/pin solution (which is
what a CVC really is) but a fully qualified challenge/response
mechanism. Otherwise, CVC codes just become databased like anything
else.