[Asterisk-biz] Affordable GSM to SIP gateways?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jun 20 07:09:31 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 09:14 -0400, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand how this works. Is the
> presumption that the gsm to gsm calls are free or why is this better than
> simply dialling the phone number via pstn?
> I'm intrigued but clueless...

In South Africa - a monthly Fixed line (pstn=Telkom) to Cell phone (GSM)
expenditure of R3000  (Three thousand rands - thats about 300 Euro) can
be done with a "fixed" cell phone system with a monthly contract 'Talk
500' (500 minutes of calls) costing just under R800.  (or 80 Euro)...

... so "least cost" routing of cell calls can save a bundle..

Also - The copper under South African streets is always fresh and new -
because its often recycled (theft, sold to scrap merchants, sold as
recycled copper to the wire manufacturers...).  Having an alternative
system to "fixed wire" can be useful between the cable being pinched and
replaced  :-)

ps - I have heard that some 'fixed' mobile units do send the ClID down
the 2-wire to the PABX (choice of encoding methods).

pps So in SA, we have fixed gsm and pstn thats often on the move :-(

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE