[Asterisk-biz] RE: VISA - MC - Fraud

David Pollak dpp-asterisk at projectsinmotion.com
Sun Jun 19 16:11:18 MST 2005

Okay... this is turning into a hard, but fun, problem.

No way to store the MD5 of the CC #.  I did some back of the napkin and
you could figure out the CC # from the MD5 pretty easily (CC # are 16
digits, but the last digit is a checksum, so they're only 15 digits.
There are "common" beginning sequences based on issuing bank, so there
are only 11 digits.  That's about 2,000 GB of data (MD5 is 160 bits)...
so creating the "give me an MD5 and I'll give you the CC #" database
would span 10 300GB hard drives (well, I guess if you multiplied by the
20 common bank prefixes, you'd get 200 hard drives, but still, it's a
bounded problem.)

In terms of submitting stuff, the system would have to know and trust
the organization doing the look-up request.  If I were setting things
up, I'd make sure both parties had SSL certs issued by VeriSign so we
know who is on each end of the communications pipe (SOAP
requests/responses).  I'd spend a lot of money running background checks
on the company, the company's officers, and the IT staff that had access
to the keys and the raw CC data.  We have to be able to trust the folks
who are submitting the raw data (both the people and the machines.)
That way, everybody in the network knows that everyone else is the
network is vetted and doesn't have a history of running financial scams,
etc.

Here's the fun problem... How do we exchange data describing the
transaction without exchanging "identifying" information which may
violate both CC agreements and various European and other privacy laws?
I'm noodling on that, but would love to get input from others.

So, what are some of the things to deal with?
- Running through an IP anonimizer -- most of the anonimizers are run by
the CIA anyway, but it's pretty easy to get the current hot anonimizers
and the current IP addresses used by the anonimizers and block them.
- CC and PayPal accounts that show up in IRC channels -- Put bots in the
hacker and underground channels and block CC #'s and PayPal accounts
that are exchanged.

How much would merchants pay for such a service (even if it was not a
profit-making venture, it's going to cost something)?  25 cents a
transaction?  50 cents a transaction?  How much up-front (doing
background checks are not free) $5K, $10K?

How could we work to get on the right side of VISA, MasterCard, etc.?
While they have some incentive to eliminate fraud, they probably don't
have a ton of incentive to deal with online fraud for smaller vendors
(they just push the costs back to the vendor in the form of charge-backs
-- it's tougher for them to push the risk onto Amazon or Target.)  There
may be an interesting Homeland Security aspect to this as well.  Given
the dangers of telecommunications fraud or more specifically, the
dangers of anonymous, untrackable communications, I'd expect they would
want to have a system that tracked purchases of communications services.

Okay, I'm ranting... but I'd be interested in any thoughts on how to
package up the identifying information for a CC transaction (CC #,
purchaser, and address) into a non-identifying, non-reversible hash and
transmit that with the non-identifying information about the transaction
(e.g., IP address, city, state, country, postal/zip code, etc.)

On another tangent, has anyone tried shipping out a welcome letter via
UPS or FedEx as a way of "shipping a physical good", verifying the
address, and getting a signature?  If anyone has tried it, what were the
successes or failures of it?

Thanks,

David