[Asterisk-biz] CC Fraud

steve steve at 17q.com
Sat Jun 18 17:21:23 MST 2005

You guys know very little about credit cards.   First, it is true that one
of the largest processors had their system compromised.

What this means is a lot a credit cards with their security codes have been
stolen.  This is no big deal because most companies will not ship to an
address that is not the billing address of the credit card company.

Almost everyone uses AVS (Address verification System) to verify the credit
card billing address.   If a thief tries to use a valid credit card with a
valid security code and the wrong billing address then the card will be
rejected.

Now for the real problem, what an educated thief will do is print up his own
credit card with the fraudulent information and present it in person with a
fraudulent identification.   One of the biggest problems is a person who has
a credit card that shows a valid expiration date while the rest of the
information has been canceled.  Using a home computer and a card
scanner/writer one simply puts on the cancel credit card the stolen
information.  Most stores will not check the imprinted information on the
credit card versus the information that is printed on the sales slip.  Smart
people always check the information on the credit card with the information
that the customer signs.

Steve