[Asterisk-biz] CC Fraud

Justin B Newman justin.newman at binhost.com
Sat Jun 18 11:20:02 MST 2005

snacktime wrote:
> It's actually fairly rare to get transactions that pass cvv that are
> stolen cards, at least in most industries.  If you see high
> percentages of that, I'm guessing it's a scam with the cardholders
> consent, or a batch of physical cards that were stolen.  Both cases
> are usually pretty rare.

MasterCard announced yesterday the theft of 40,000,000 credit card
numbers (and associated information, including CVV) from Card Services
Intl, one of the big CC processors.

So, we know that there are at least 40,000,000 valid card numbers and
CVVs out running around right now.  Even worse, the theft occurred 5/22
and the FBI got everyone to keep quiet.  (*sigh*)

-jbn