[Asterisk-biz] TDM <-> VOIP <-> TDM is illegal! Who knew!?! and what should we do?

Jess Coburn jess.coburn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:57:46 MST 2005

> I'd imagine a million companies are breaking the law with their pbx by
> your interpretation.

No, an IP PBX is okay because it would be SIP -> ASTERISK -> TDM,
atleast this is how it's explained to me so far.

> There has to be an easy end run around this.. like PSTN -> Asterisk ->
> another asterisk machine -> VOIP -> PSTN ?

That's what I'm looking for but I think the general ruling was if it's
tdm on both ends then what's in the middle doesn't matter. Now, I
guess one could argue if it were a conference call and two were
calling into the asterisk box and one was calling in via SIP then the
end point is really the asterisk box? But would that fly?

> I can see them coming down hard on AT&T since they've already been split
> up for monopoly issues, not sure they'd do the same with mom and pop
> voip providers.

We're all in business to grow from mom & pop shops to large companies
so eventually it's going to catch up I imagine.

Here's more information here:

http://www.intelecard.com/inissue/03newtoprepaid.asp

Jess