[Asterisk-biz] FCC and 9-1-1

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:51:21 MST 2005

Our solution is one which some people may scoff at but here is what we
did, FWIW.

We require people to have a phone number that is in the actual city
where we offer service.  We also are currently only targeting
Pennsylvania (as this is our home business area).  This solution will
work for smaller VoIP providers, but will not be a solution for the
large, nation wide providers.

With our CLEC, we had them turn our PRIs into Centrex lines.  The CLEC
mapped pre-dial digits to 911 to each county.

So if you dial 1911 it goes to county A, 2911 goes to county B, etc.

The customer needs only dial 911 as this point to an extension which
runs a 911.agi script which figures out (based on NPANXX) which PSAP
x911 number to dial for the county.

If people want numbers elsewhere we provide them with a secondary
number, but require their primary number to be in their city of
residence...

Fairly simple solution if you aren't trying to cover the entire U.S. :)