[Asterisk-biz] Re: Truly Unlimited DID's

Lee Barken barken at rohan.sdsu.edu
Fri Jun 3 09:45:53 MST 2005

hi Matt,
  I understand your concern and subsequent logic regarding unlimited
services.  My only comment is that business people take *risks*.
Hopefully, the are calculated risks.  When a provider sells an unlimited
service, they are assuming the risk that the transaction may be
unprofitable.  I don't think anybody is getting "screwed" in this
situation.  Either the venture is profitable or unprofitable.  It reminds
me of companies like AOL or Netzero who offer "unlimited" Internet access.
Over time, these companies become very good at estimating the aggregate
usage patterns of many thousands of users.  Sure, some customers will use
more services and some customers will use less services, but the idea is
to price your offer accordly, such that the net result is a profitable
enterprise.  If a company does a poor job of estimating and projecting
usage patterns, my hope is that they will not feel "screwed", but instead
just take some time to review their planning policies and procedures and
take appropriate and reasonable corrective actions.

Best,
  -Lee