[Asterisk-biz] Re: Truly Unlimited DID's

William Waites ww at groovy.net
Fri Jun 3 08:17:35 MST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:18:30AM -0500, Matthew Simpson wrote:
> >From: "Asterisk PBX" <asterisk at dovid.net>
> >I am looking for DID's with unlimited incoming and unlimited channels.
> >Most providers don't charge much for the DID but they then say that
> >there is a "normal usage patern". If one go's over then the price can
> >jump. There is no telling of what it will go to. I am looking for a
> >provider that can give me DID's at a set rate. Some of them will have
> >heavy usage while others will have very minimal usage. Thanks.
>
> There is no such thing as "truly unlimited".  Here is why.

Well. In most places inbound calls are not metered. So order a
PRI. Divide the monthly price of the PRI by 24 or 30 depending.
Add the cost of a DID. Add some markup. Then sell unlimited
usage of one channel. Then maybe that's $30/month, truly unlimited
usage of a single channel.

Well, I guess there's technically a limit of some 43k minutes/month
on that channel...

But I don't think that's what Mr. Dovid was asking for.

Now some people might have a PRI with some spare capacity that
they're already paying for. So maybe they sell unlimited DIDs
to recover some costs on the spare capacity. They just have to
be careful that the unlimited folk don't crowd out the others.
And the unlimited folk have to be aware that in this scenario
it is a best effort, "don't complain if your number gets a
busy," type of service. But nobody's getting screwed in this
case as you say later on in your not, Matthew.

But, anyways I don't have such an already-paid-for PRI with
spare channels that are going to waste...

To sum up, you can buy dedicated capacity, or you can pay for
usage incrementally, or you can be satisfied with a best effort
service that may or may not work all the time.

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites, Consulting Technologist