[Asterisk-biz] Altigen vs. Asterisk

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Wed Jun 1 15:05:55 MST 2005

I have used both, hard, so I know a bit about them.

Altigen's admin and end-user interfaces are mature and reasonably
well-executed. We did have some issues with the logic available for
queues and such, but we were flogging that part of their feature set
harder than just about anyone ever had, so we were rather like a beta
tester on steroids. For the most part though, the PBX functionality just
worked. Their VOIP implementation was horrid. It worked, but just
barely, and was extemely susceptible to the least little change in
network performance.

As for costs, Altigen is extremely expensive, compared to an
Asterisk/Digium solution. The hardware and licensing costs are   several
hundred dollars per port. With *, the only comparable cost is the Digium
hardwre (and channel banks) required, if any; easily doable for under
$100 per port.

Asterisk's feature set is much larger, but you must be willing to dig
into the docs and learn how to use it, or settle for one of the quickly
improving, but feature-limited graphical admin tools.