[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

Michael Greb michael at thegrebs.com
Thu Jul 28 14:35:38 MST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 04:40:24PM -0400, C F wrote:
> On 7/28/05, Michael Greb <michael at thegrebs.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I did not say collection agencies, I said collections. If you are not
> > > employed by someone else, then you do collections all the time. Every
> > > so often there is someone that likes not to answer the phone becuase
> > > they know you want money, in which case this IS legal, and it acutaly
> > > works.
> >
> > I used imprecise language.  It doesn't matter if you work for a
> > collections agency or not, the provisions regulating collections still
> > apply.
> >

> Not true, if it's a debt owned to you (you didn't sell that debt, or
> you were not hired by someone to collect someone elses debt) then you
> are not a collector by law.

Correct, you aren't a debt collector, but if you use any name other
then your own business name in any medium when communicating with a
debtor (i.e. presenting yourself as someone else via caller ID spoofing)
then you are responsible for meeting all provisions of the Fair Debt
Collections Act, including those which apply solely to debt collectors.

Perhaps before you correct me, you go read the act for yourself.

Michael