[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

Gary Reuter gary.reuter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:38:14 MST 2005

On 7/28/05, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > With SIP providers (using Cisco gateways), neither STABLE nor HEAD
> > support Remote-Party-ID for outgoing calls.  I recently started
> > working on a patch (still have to do proper 'screen' and 'privacy'),
> > and can 'spoof' the CID on outbound SIP calls also.
>
> I have no clue where you took this from, but here is the real thing,
> you could spoof caller id with asterisk even on SIP, unless you use
> the fromuser field in sip.conf. or if the end technology doesn't
> support callerid (like pots).

Took it from experience.  2 of the 3 SIP providers I use have Cisco
gateways.  They do not use IP-based authentication.  The 'fromuser' in
sip.conf must be set to the same as 'username' for calls to work with
these providers.  The only way I have been able to change the callerid
on calls through these providers is by using the Remote-Party-ID
header.   (And one of the two providers is MCI)