[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

Michael Greb michael at thegrebs.com
Wed Jul 27 13:41:51 MST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:38:20AM -0700, asterisk wrote:
> Alex Pui wrote:
>
> > I don’t understand why people will pay more on CID spoofing unless
> > they are doing some crimes which by itself is illegal.
> >
> A number of reasons:
>
> 1. A bill collector wants you to answer the phone, but a lot of business
> people will not answer the phone when it rings as 'Private', or
> 'Unavailable'.
> 2. Your girlfriend/boyfriend that you're angry with knows you won't pick
> up the phone if you know it's them calling.
>
> Plus a host of other legal reasons. :)

Except number one there is NOT legal.  There are very strict
regulations about what "bill collectors" can and can't do.  Hiding
their identity in such a manner is one of those specifically mentioned.

That said, my father who is in the business, has on more then one
occasion switched to one of the other phone lines in the office to call
someone that had the main office number blocked via telco call blocking.

Michael