[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:42:45 MST 2005

First for Alex,
People do it for all types of reasons, and not always for criminal
activity. Collections is one example. If you can't get a hold of
someone just call him with the callerID of his wife, girl friend, or
boss, and you'll be surprised of the results.
For Matt,
I have tried it on SprintPCS, when/if I spoof my callerID to come up
as my SprintPCS phone, then it will never ring to my cell phone, but
go straight to VoiceMail, but it will NOT let me listen to my messages
without entering the password, moreever, when calling from cell phone
I get the please enter your password prompt, however if I call from
the spoofed caller ID I just get the regular Voice Mail, and I have to
press * to get the password prompt. Which makes me believe that thier
routing is set up to check callerid thats why I end up in vm and never
at the cell phone, while their authentication does use something
better.
I never tried it with other providers, but I believe they are all the
same. AFAIK you are right about it being legal, unless you are a
telemarketer, in which case the callerID has to ring back to you.

And agian Alex is right about asking an attorney and not some joe
shmoe on the Interweb.