[Asterisk-biz] Tax?

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 21 12:37:35 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 15:09 -0400, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
> When offering VoIP services to customers in the U.S. are there any
> taxes/fees that providers currently need to worry/be aware of?

Generally no, however each state is free to impose a sales tax, I am
unaware of any that do have sales tax on voip service, but its best to
check with the state board of equilazation (or whatever they call
themselves if the state you are operating in).

*normally* you only have to worry about the states you have offices in,
but some have been talking (for over a year) about taxing sales on the
internet no matter where the business is.  The mailorder rules typically
apply however.  CA was one state that was hard up on taxing internet
sales if the b uyer is in the state, but that I believe fell through
because its too hard to enforce.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378