[Asterisk-biz] Server Question

Glenn Powers glenn at braverock.com
Tue Jul 12 08:17:23 MST 2005

David Webster wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are in the development stage  of an application that requires
>asterisk, where asterisk could be serving several web sites.  The sites
>are small to medium? sized.
>
>I am wondering whether or not asterisk can reside on the the same
>server as the websites without resource complications .. especially
>during the startup phase.

I'm running Asterisk on my Plesk-powered dedicated web/mail/db/etc
server at 1&1 with no problems. Asterisk has very light usage, but I
think it should scale up bit.

It helps if you increase Asterisk's scheduling priority:
nice -15 /usr/sbin/asterisk

It really comes down to what you "Asterisk Application" is doing. If
it's just doing call routing,
it will scale much better than if has to do transcoding, IVR, etc.

Of course it's best to have Asterisk on it's own box, but it will often
work well in other configurations.

cheers,
glenn