[Asterisk-biz] SIP phones in an Enterprise

Michael Procter michael.procter at citel.com
Tue Jul 12 01:16:08 MST 2005

Hi Shayne

> We are a municipality with 400 phones on an old
> proprietary phone PBX.
[...]
> One of our next steps is to pick a phone set
> manufacturer that we can standardize across the
> enterprise. I believe we are a typical organization
> with three levels of handsets depending on the job
> function.

Sounds like you already have phones that match your
users needs, only they are connected to your old PBX.
Have you looked at using a gateway to connect your
legacy digital handsets to Asterisk?  Then you can
leave the existing phones and wiring in place and
still upgrade to an Asterisk-based solution.

Try Googling for 'sip handset gateway'.

Regards,

Michael

(Disclosure:  I work for one of the companies in this market)